Req Number 001F13
Job Category Nursing Support
MANHATTAN EYE EAR AND THROAT HOSPITAL
JOB TITLE : LEAD STERILE PROCESSING TECHNICIAN
DEPARTMENT : Sterile Processing
REPORTS TO : John Aglah
Leads and guides sterile processing staff in the reprocessing of reusable instrumentation and equipment. Performs all functions of a Sterile Processing Technician.
Participates in orientation and ongoing training of sterile processing staff.
Assists in prioritizing and assigning work based on workflow fluctuations.
Serves as a liaison to other departments. Coordinates resources for problem identification and resolution. Reports issues to management.
Addresses and reprocesses more complex, specialty instruments and equipment, as needed.
Dissembles, cleans, sterilizes, reassembles and packages sterile supplies according to specifications and/or manufacturer instructions.
Operates washers, sterilizers, ultrasonic machines, steam and ethylene oxide sterilizers, heat sealers, and additional equipment during sterilization procedures.
Examines instruments and patient care equipment for cleanliness, proper assembly and functionality. Identifies malfunctioning items, records related information, and promptly notifies supervisor or biomedical engineer.
Adheres to AORN, AAMI and Joint Commission standards (e.g. biological, chemical and mechanical monitoring) in the performance of duties.
Performs necessary duties to maintain a contaminant-free work environment.
Assists in ordering, stocking and maintaining department inventory levels.
Documents and maintains records of daily activities according to department policies and procedures.
*ADA Essential Functions
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
• Sterile processing certification (CRCST or CSPD), required.
• Must complete minimum annual continuing education credits required by NY State AND additional continuing education credits required to maintain certification status.
• Minimum of two (2) years experience processing surgical instrumentation, required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of surgical instruments, trays and equipment used within facility, required.
• Ability to lift/carry 25 pounds, required. Manual dexterity, ability to stand, bend, lift and/or reach for extended periods of time, required.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English (verbally and in writing) and follow oral and/or written instructions, required.